Non-owner automobile insurance coverage offers legal responsibility protection whenever you don’t have a automobile and drive one which isn’t yours. Legal responsibility protection pays for accidents and property injury you trigger to others in a automobile accident. Nonetheless, it doesn’t cowl any injury to the automobile you’ve borrowed or rented, nor does it pay for any of your individual accidents if you happen to trigger a crash.
Beware: For those who borrow a automobile from a relative or somebody in your house, non-owner automobile insurance coverage isn’t the precise alternative — you need to be listed on the automobile proprietor’s coverage. Relying on their insurer and your state, this is perhaps required even when the automobile belongs to an unrelated roommate, and even if you happen to don’t at present have a sound license.
How to purchase non-owner automobile insurance coverage
To get a quote, you’ll want to make a name or go to an agent. Insurers don’t have a tendency to provide non-owner insurance coverage quotes on-line, and some, like Progressive, provide them solely to present clients. And although most giant insurers provide non-owner automobile insurance coverage, Allstate doesn’t.
We’ve verified that the insurers beneath provide non-owner insurance policies, however some don’t provide info on-line and most say one of the simplest ways to get a coverage is to discover an agent.
Insurers that supply the non-owner automobile protection could not promote it in each state. *USAA sells insurance coverage solely to energetic navy members, veterans and their households.
What non-owner automobile insurance coverage covers
A non-owner automobile insurance coverage coverage sometimes consists of solely the required protection sorts in your state, although you’ll be able to choose limits greater than the minimums. These could embody:
- Legal responsibility protection for property injury and accidents you trigger to others, besides your passengers.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist safety, which pays out if you happen to’re injured in an accident brought on by a driver with none or sufficient legal responsibility insurance coverage.
- Medical funds or private harm safety, which pay in your accidents after a wreck regardless of who’s at fault.
Non-owner insurance coverage doesn’t embody collision or complete insurance coverage. In an ordinary auto coverage, that protection pays for repairs or substitute of the car you personal.
Who wants non-owner automobile insurance coverage
You may want a non-owner insurance coverage coverage if you happen to don’t personal a car and you:
- Want an SR-22 type filed in your behalf — or an FR-44 type in Florida and Virginia — to get your driver’s license reinstated. These kinds are filed by insurers and show that you’ve automobile insurance coverage after a critical conviction like a DUI.
- Your state requires insurance coverage to get or reinstate a drivers license. Some states achieve this underneath what is usually known as a “proof of economic duty” legislation.
- Use a service comparable to Zipcar or Car2Go: A non-owner coverage dietary supplements the legal responsibility protection the car-sharing service offers, sometimes the minimum-required quantity in your state. For those who trigger a foul wreck, prices may simply exceed these limits and you’d be answerable for them.
- Need to preserve steady auto insurance coverage protection: Going with out protection — even between automobiles — makes you look dangerous within the eyes of insurers, main to greater charges whenever you purchase a car.
- Lease automobiles ceaselessly: Non-owner insurance coverage is perhaps cheaper than paying for legal responsibility protection on the rental counter if you happen to lease usually sufficient. It gained’t cowl injury to the rental, however you might give you the option to get that protection by way of a bank card or purchase the collision-damage waiver from the rental automobile firm.
- Borrow different folks’s automobiles usually: The automobile proprietor’s insurance coverage usually pays out for an accident, but when prices exceed the proprietor’s legal responsibility limits, you’d be on the hook for the rest.
Price of a non-owner coverage
Usually, a non-owner automobile insurance coverage coverage prices lower than what you’ll pay for a similar stage of legal responsibility protection for a automobile you personal. Nonetheless, if you happen to want the insurer to file an SR-22 or FR-44, prices will doubtless be excessive for any coverage till you don’t want it anymore.
Thanks for reading!